Monday, September 15, 2008

Apprehensions and Expectations

It’s been a long time since I posted my last blog. And now ‘m writing this one, when I have started a new phase of my life. I have shifted to a new city for my studies in Audio.

After the final exams of my last year in college, things started to move pretty fast, towards my new goal, Audio Engineering. Things went on well, I cleared the entrance test, got admission into the college which I wanted, at the same time I became a Commerce graduate. And finally it all came down to the preparations leading to my adieu to my hometown, to leave for a new city, a new life. It was pretty hard for me to leave my parents, my friends, my city in which I was born, brought up n lived for 20 years. Everyone was proud of me, at the same time had expectations that, I do well in the new course and have a good career ahead. I realised that and a sense of responsibility came to me.

During the preparations, I went through a phase of apprehensions and expectations. It’s a time when a person has some expectations and anxiety towards his new life. I had lots!!!!!
When the thought of moving to a strange city, and living there for 18 months, struck me, I was shocked to the core. Felt like the earth below me had started shaking. Those few days were the worst. I was nervous, scared, anxious and every possible emotion a man can go through!!!!!
Thanks to my parent’s hostel stories, I was long away from being comforted. They told me what all had happened in their times, how hostel guys behave, what pranks are played, how ragging was done and what not. But then I found out a logic, that come on, so many young guys leave their homes and go out for studies and they turn out fine, so why shouldn’t I. And one more thing, all these stories were really old; my dad graduated atleast 20 years back.

But still I had some apprehensions about my new roommates. I expected them to be nice people, whose wavelength matched mine, but it’s not a perfect world after all. So I left that to fate.
One more fear I had, was that, I had dreamt about doing this for a long time and now it was turning into a reality, so will I really be able to do this. But then I thought, music is my passion, and this is what I’m here to do. So screw everyone ‘m doing this and ‘m going to prove myself.
Another anxiety was about the course and the college. Of course I had done my research and heard a lot about the college, but still was curious that, how my new college will be, how’s the faculty there, finally I hadn’t seen the college, so this thought was but obvious.

The most dreaded fear I had was, leaving my buddies and my parents. How will I survive without them? With whom will I hang out? Who will bunk classes and watch movies with me? With whom will I dream about the future? Who will do awesome things with me? Who will talk with me for hours on the phone? Who will be my bro n take me out to movies and give me valuable pieces of advice? A lot of questions remained unanswered.

I was going to miss home food. I hoped I got good food in the new place, as per my tastes.

So basically I had lot of apprehensions. But at the end of it I decided that, not to expect much, or your expectations do get broken. Instead go with an open mind, accept what you can, adjust a bit, and things which you can’t adjust, just ignore or find an alternative. Coz finally it’s life, it moves on, even if you don’t. Life always offers you something new, accept it with a smiling face, and you can enjoy life.

So after a hard and long game of “emotional ping pong”, I left my hometown, towards a new city, a new life, a new me. And it has turned out to be just fine. Got good friends, roommates, college turned out to be good, the faculty nice. So not expecting much, paid off!!!!!

But going through all this made me realise values of certain people and certain things. I wish everyone goes though this once in their lifetime, it’s a wonderful experience!!!!!
Cheers. :)

4 comments:

Kaustubh said...

wow! look who's writing.... seems that life and its intricacies are finally dawning onto you.
yes leaving home can be difficult, but how else will you learn to face the real world, learn to fend yourself and learn to stand on your own.
Hope by now the old apprehensions are gone and new expectations have risen. Expectations to be nothing less than victorious in this path that you have ventured onto.
All the best and keep the faith.

Unknown said...

Very nice blog! Loved it!
Saranya

kartik kulkarni said...

@ kaustubh - hehehe yup....'m equally amazed at myself....
u r right, old apprehensions are gone....n instead of new expectations, i wud say new goals hav come into place :)

kartik kulkarni said...

@ saranya mami :- Thanks a lot :)